Monday, June 9, 2008

runners? help me.

what a weekend. there was so much debauchery involved i don't even want to get into it. nothing too scandalous... just too much of everything. too much sun, too much booze, too much food... too much! not enough sleep and not enough water. i need to take it easy.

last night i slept over at my parent's house because i had a doctor's appointment this morning in the burbs. i am back in the city now.... phewf!

i have some questions for the runners out there. on saturday, i went for a 5-mile run. it was HOT outside. at least 32°C... more like 40°C with the humidex. we are talking 90°F to 104°F for the americans out there. HOT.

so i put on sunscreen, and drank some water before i went... but am seriously overheating. thank goodness i found two parks along the way with water fountains... i glugged it down and put some on the top of my head, but i need to buy some summer running things.... and soon, if i don't want to go back to the dreadmill.

1) i need some sort of portable water. i do NOT want to hold a water bottle while i'm running... so i guess a belt? does anyone have any recommendations?

i found this belt online - the ultimate direction thunderbolt belt.

what a stupid name haha. i can't really find anything else that evenly distributes the water around the waist. online reviews at mountain equipment co-op said that it's ok, but that the belt stretches when it gets wet from the water and from sweat.

2) i also need a good running hat. any tips or recommendations? i want something that isn't heavy, isn't annoying (because i'm not a hat wearer) and that also protects my delicate features from the sun. anyone?

today on the menu is:

small peach
granny smith apple

pc blue menu multigrain oatmeal with flax, wheatberries, splenda, cinnamon
1 t natural peanut butter

fat free vanilla yogurt

ezekiel english muffin with
3 slices spicy fake chicken
lettuce
mustard and a bit of bbq sauce

cherries

salad with breaded chicken breasts, tomatoes, quinoa or wheatberries

12 comments:

SeaBreeze said...

I have one of the running-water-backpacks, which I love because its relatively small and the straps are supportive. I haven't seen many running belts of late, sadly.

Also, what kinda hat are you thinking? I just wear my DC ball hat when I go for sunny runs.

Shelley said...

This is what I use - the two bottle version. It also has a pouch for keys, etc.

http://www.fuelbelt.com/


The backpacks look hot to me, but I've never tried one so I don't know. But it gets super hot where I live, so something going down my back doesn't sound appealing to me.

Shelley said...

The helium 2 is what the belt I have is called...sorry I just noticed they had a couple versions. It actually has some venting...and I like the colors.

VeggieGal said...

Belt recommendation: after running 2 half marathons, I used a great belt and the key to making it easy for me was that the bottles could be stowed on the belt on their sides or straight up and down. Made a bid diff for me and I think it's nice to have the option.

Unknown said...

Man I don't think I could even imagine running outside in this heat, so mad props to you! It's bad enough that I'm working at Tim Hortons for my summer job and making coffee for 8 hours a day in 42-degree humidity... lameee.

Sara said...

fuel belts are a must. Running room have great hats with mesh top so it protects and lets you head breath!

But I would suggest not running in that heat and humidity not good for you.

But since I don't always take my own advice, I usually soak a bandana and the freeze it. Then I tie it around my neck. Totally cools you down and has been a lifesaver on many a crazy ass hot runs!

Sara said...

p.s. talked to my aunt - she does have access to postings but usually they are just for internal.

P.O.M. said...

You definately need a running belt. They are incredible dorky, but a necessary evil for long, hot runs. I would go to a running store and try some on and run around the store. I wear mine really tight so it doesn't bounce. I also got a running hat that is really light weight and "breathable."

Shirls said...

I have a fanny pack from MEC that holds either my litre or 1/2 litre bottle, its great and handy, those water belts don't even begin to hold enough water for me, most often in the summer months I'm driven inside to the treadmill as I don't do well in the heat and heat and running combined is, well its just not pretty

Unknown said...

Thanks for asking now I can get tips from your readers! haha.

HC said...

Yowza -- you were running in this crazy heat? You are hardcore, woman.

Carolyn said...

I hear ya on the weekend debauchery. Wowsa. Pizza, garlic fingers AND ice cream over here. Yikes. Guess I'll have to ramp up my gym time!
I just started running a few weeks ago and I have kept it to the confines of my gym so I'm not sure about the belt. It looks a little bulky to me. I know my brother that one that lays flat on your stomach and the water bottle holder is on the side. Looks a little more comfortable and less bulky. He got it at the Running Room. Probably a good place to start looking anyway. I lvoe the new kicks too! I need new runners like you wouldn't believe!