Tuesday, June 10, 2008

party prep

thanks everyone for all of your recommendations. i am going to go to the running room and see what they have to offer. probably better than ordering something online, because who would know if it fit or was comfortable, etc. and then i will probably go to mountain equipment co-op for a hat. i also want some new running shorts. by shorts i mean something little that just covers my bum. i have no shame... i just don't want to be hot...as in overheated ;) if it looks gruesome i'll get something with more coverage, but i'm sure it will be fine.

in other news, last night i tried the HIIT (high intensity interval training) that everyone is talking about these days. i wanted a short but effective workout so here is what i did:

warm up
0:00-1:00 3.5 mph walking
1:00-2:00 3.8 mph walking
2:00-3:00 4.0 mph walking
3:00-4:00 4.2 mph walking
4:00-5:00 5.0 light jogging

intensity time
30 seconds 8.5 mph (fast running!)
60 seconds 5.0 mph (light jogging)
i did this for 20 minutes... tiring!

cool down
5 minutes walking slowing down from 4.0 mph to 3.0 mph.

let me tell you... i was SO SWEATY. sweat was dripping off of my face and body. my head was soaked. my breathing was really laboured... in a good way of course. i read all about HIIT here and how it's really efficient for fat loss without muscle loss. maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but why not give it a try. i am always looking for shorter workouts to do on days that i'm not running (for pleasure) so maybe this is the way to go.

so it's my birthday coming up in june, and i'm having a birthday party in my condo. the thing is... i don't have bedding. i have sheets and stuff, but my old duvet cover was red and black and i painted my bedroom walls this colour (for the record, this image is not my bedroom, just a screen capture of the paint online):

i can't have a bedroom that is green and red, that's crazy! my bedroom furniture is white, and i've been holding off for bedding that is black, yellow, and white. but i can't find any. and it would be embarrassing to have a party with a naked duvet (no cover)... so i bought this "bed-in-a-bag" today from sears. it is for "youths" but i love the colours, especially the yellow.

i will not have a bedskirt (hate them), those giant flower pillows, or the mosquito net. but everything else. yes... it's kind of crazy but i like it that way. and it's just for the mean time, while i continue to search for the perfect bedding.

today on the menu is:

1/2 banana with natural PB

smoothie made from:
skim milk
2 t PB2
1/2 banana
splash of unsweetened almond breeze
1 equal
a few scoops of plain 2% yogurt

quaker high fibre berry oatmeal with:
1 T flax
1/3 cup all-bran
1/2 cup blackberries

big salad with:
2 cups spinach
chopped cauliflower
mushrooms
orange pepper
carrot slices
baby tomatoes
1/2 cup lima beans
1/3 cup wheat berries
1 T sun dried tomatoes
newman's own thai sesame dressing

1 serving kashi TLC crackers (if hungry)

and for dinner... not sure. :)

8 comments:

Randi said...

woohoo! Another one on the HIIT train! It is great for when you have no time. Sounds like a good workout! (sounds like what I used to do that I like best, jogging the whole time, but recently I read that it should be SPRINTING and WALKING, but I still prefer more like yours)

Anonymous said...

i really like that bedding. why don't you like bed skirts? It looks so much better than not having one, don't you think? hmmm. i need new bedding too.

Jen said...

I love the bedding!!! SO cute!!!

I am on the fence with bed skirts...depends the look you are going for...simple lines, no skirt.

You will probably look super hot in your running shorts but they will stop you from getting crazy hot...so that is good!!!

And I love HIIT but not the sweat afterwards...gross!

Robin said...

You go with the tiny running shorts!

I love the bedding and think it will look great with that wall color.

Shirls said...

I really like the bedding with the wall colour. Have you tried Ikea for the black/white/yellow combo? they have a lot of different and nice duvets fabrics. If all eles fails start checking out fabric stores, now that you have sewing skills a duvet cover is a very simple thing to whip up, honestly, I know you could do it :0)

also for me, a bed doesn't look right or finished without a bed skirt, so ha! ;0)

P.O.M. said...

I heard that those workouts also help you improve your speed. I was going to do something like that tomorrow but outside. LIke run a block fast, then jog 2 blogs, etc.

carla said...

ok

OKAY

I need to high intensity train.

I GET IT :)

MizFit

Lex said...

aww the bedding is too cute!!