Monday, June 16, 2008

protein powder

i never thought i would use protein powder but i got some on the weekend and it's very yummy. i got whey isolate, which is apparently the best for you, and vanilla flavour. i had a banana vanilla smoothie as part of my breakfast this morning and it was deee-lish.

i really need to buckle down this week and focus. i am up even more (despite good choices this weekend... i was very aware of everything i ate and felt good about it) and hovering around 123 pounds. this is 3 pounds above my maintenance range people... unacceptable. it's time to STOP THE MADNESS!

i have decided to combat it by 1) exercising every day (not a problem) 2) having breakfast be my biggest meal of the day, then lunch, and dinner the smallest 3) no carbs at dinner (but def. carbs at breakfast and lunch... i am not crazy - i need energy for the exercise) 4) drinking distilled water to flush out the salt 5) more protein than normal to increase satiety.

on saturday i had a great run. it was about 6 1/2 miles or 10 1/2 km... i chose a new route through this polish part of town. it was fun seeing a different part of the city. cute bakeries and shops and lots of people out enjoying their saturdays. yesterday i took a rest day and went home to visit my parents for father's day. i got my dad a book about golf... boring to me but that's what he wanted!

this morning i went for a 4-mile run and i was a lot faster than normal. there is something to be said about HIIT improving speed. if i feel up to it i might do 20 minutes of HIIT tonight after work. maybe... that would be hardcore. :)

9 comments:

Jaime said...

Stop the madness!! hahaha...good for you!! I too was creeping over my happy maintenance range, but am still having trouble reeling myself back in. Good luck to you, I'm with ya girl!

Anonymous said...

you are funny. but protein powder? ewww. i would be too scared to gain weight drinking that.

Jen said...

*laughs* you ARE hardcore!!!

mm, I have a vanilla soy protein powder that I really like!!! I just have issues with time in the morning and never get around to making smoothies...I need to get on that!!!

good call on stopping the madness!!! My plan is when I get to maintenance to have a "red zone" that will be when I know to keep things in line...

Fatinah said...

mmm, that sounds like quite a good plan to get rid of those 3 pesky lbs! I may try them myself! except for the shake - I have texture issues ;-)

Robin said...

You're doing so great with the running. You started with Couch to 5K didn't you? How did you transition into longer runs, and how long did it take you to get where you are?

HC said...

Sounds like a solid plan -- good luck!

eurydice said...

shannon: it's only 110 calories per scoop and some sort of insane amount of protein. and hardly any fat... maybe 1g or so. i am definitely monitoring my calories while i use it so i'm just it will help to keep me satisfied and not make me gain weight. :)

Crissy Rae said...

I think it's great you have a no-nonsense attitude and get right down to the nitty gritty when it comes to your weight. Nice job with all the running. you did in a couple days what i do in a week!

Angela Power said...

haha yes, the madness ends here! I'm finding the protein powder is doing wonders for me in so many ways. Staying fuller longer is one of them for sure.

RYC about the fudgeos: Yup, you're right, they weren't really "that good" that it was the ultimate treat on a cheat day. I'd much rather have enjoyed some sort of chocolate eruption cheesecake treat instead. I bet after a few cheat days, it won't feel like such a big deal, just a day where I don't have to be careful about what I"m eating and just eat what I want whenever. The whole cheat day idea has mental aspects as well as the physical/sciencey side about the "forbidden" treats that's for sure.