Friday, June 29, 2007

Dying To Be Thin

I watched this documentary last week on TV called "Dying To Be Thin" narrated by Susan Sarandon. Most of it was pretty typical... young girls/pressure from media/ballerinas etc. But there was this one part about a girl who didn't have a problem with food but exercised too much. After running a 26 mile marathon, she said that all she could think about for the last three miles was when she would be able to get to the gym next. This got me thinking... maybe I go to the gym too much. But, how much is too much? I try to go 4-5 times a week in the mornings before work. But, maybe if I wasn't with friends on the weekend I would also go then. When I plan to go to the gym and don't make it I feel very guilty about it. It doesn't interrupt my day or change my eating plans, but I feel generally a bit regretful about it.

So, this morning I didn't go to the gym. I am going away this weekend and don't want to be tired tonight. I got up at 6:30 this morning and thought, forget it, then went back to bed until 7:45. And now, I feel great. I had a leisurely morning, drank coffee at home (which I never do), watched a bit of the news on TV... it was great. And truthfully I don't feel bad about not going to the gym. I need a break and I don't want to become obsessed about it. Maybe I will cut back to 3-4 times a week. Is that enough? I read in this article about childhood obesity that children need 90 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise per day. I wonder if the same amount applies to adults! I can't think of any adult that I know who gets in that much activity. Anyhoo.

In other news, I bought a bathing suit last night. I went everywhere. I went to Bikini Village and The Bay, but I couldn't find anything I liked. I didn't even try anything on. Why must all bathing suits have things like 1)ugly patterns 2)beads 3)fringe 4)sparkles, etc. I just want a simple suit. So then I went to American Apparel and found one!

Bottom and top in cobalt/sky blue.

I'm a bit skeptical about the skimpy-factor but the bottoms are full and I don't look half bad in it... and I have to remember that I'm my one worst critic, so flaws I see most people wouldn't even notice. And if they do - they better keep their fat mouths shut!

Here is todays menu:

Breakfast:
oatmeal with blueberries (2)
2/19

Snack:
yogurt (1)
3/19

Lunch:
spinach (0)
tuna (3)
dressing (1)
almond slivers (1)
8/19

Snack:
all-bran bites (2)
10/19

Dinner:
Veggie burger with bun (4)
Veggies with cheese sauce (2)
baked potato (3)
19/19

No comments: