Sunday, March 1, 2009

yoga

a few of you have left me questions in the comments about the yoga i'm doing. all the yoga i do is from yogadownload.com. you can pay for longer classes, but a lot of the 20-minute sessions are free, and that's what i'm doing right now until i can build up to longer sessions.

when you download a class, you get an audio version for your mp3 player, as well as a PDF with all of the poses that you can print out and refer to during your yoga time. i keep my printouts right beside my mat.

these downloads are really great. i think i came into them with an advantage because i've taken a real yoga class before, and have a good idea about the poses. i was lucky because no one else signed up for the class, so i had private yoga sessions for eight weeks. sometimes it's hard to see exactly what's happening in a pose - like where you should put your shoulders and hips in relation to your arms and legs. i would probably suggest taking one beginner drop-in yoga class in your area just to get a feel for it, and then go nuts. you don't want to hurt yourself by doing something crazy that your body isn't meant to do.

also, when you are browsing the site, it's smart and really necessary to be aware of the level of the class. some are for beginners and others are for more intermediate/advanced students. the more advanced classes are quite difficult and if you do them right away, you will be in serious pain the next day. with more practice, little things like balancing and being able to shift from pose to pose with more ease and grace becomes much easier.

finally, i leave you with one of my favourite clips from the OC. i had such a university crush on seth cohen. so nerdy and cute. this scene always made me laugh.



5 comments:

Jen said...

I agree with what you said about Yoga! I took a class where the woman explained the positions and if you weren't doing them properly, she would come and rearrange you a little so that you wouldn't hurt yourself!! She also told me to not rest on my fingers, everything should be done flat palmed even if you have to use a block - best advice she gave!!

I LOVED the OC...seriously adored...I have watched the 1st season over and over and over again...I loved Seth too, but I think I loved Sandy more!!!!

fittingbackin said...

That is so smart! I've never gotten into yoga but this seems like a great and inexpensive way to see if it's for you on your own!

OMG I LOVE the OC.. iwas so sad when Rachel/Adam broke up in real life!

Julie said...

Thanks! I'm definitely going to try one of the free classes.

Jaime said...

Pretty much any good yoga instructor will adjust you during a class. That's one of the major benefits of have an trained instructor...just like any sport. :)

I like the yogadownloads, but only because I've done most of the poses before and because I'm still attending a weekly "real-life" class.

ha...I never saw that episode of the OC. Cute!! (I still loved him as Dave on Gilmore Girls before he got the OC!)

Sarah said...

Any downloads you'd recommend? I'll definitely try these!